Thursday, June 20, 2013

Problems with OpenFOAM mapFIelds Utility

While refining a mesh, I was trying to map the internal fields from a courser mesh to a finer mesh using the mapFields utility within OpenFOAM.
FOAM FATAL IO ERROR : size ### is not equal to the given value of ###
This stumped me because all I did was increase the resolution of my mesh, nothing else. Two things corrected the problem. Hirst, I deleted all of the time series folders (e.g. /0, /10, /20...) from the target directory. This fixed part of the problem however I was still getting errors when running mapFields. Looking at the error I noticed that it was having trouble processing the files generated during my post-processing. For example I typically generate the Reynolds Shear Stresses (R) and run the normalized wall spacing, y+ (yPlusRAS). I deleted these from the source time-step folder and mapFields ran correctly.

5 comments:

  1. same problem here. By deleting the series folder, the problem was solved. Thanks for the hint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it saved my life too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I have the same problem. I don’t understand exactly what you did. you have deleted all the times files of the target so that in the target there is only the system folder and the constant folder, or?

    cordialy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, just delete the PolyMesh folder in the constant folder and do the commands: blockMesh. Now you can mapp without any errors.
      Van

      Delete
  4. Hi guys
    --> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
    size 8000 is not equal to the given value of 442989

    file: /home/figuim/OpenFOAM/aminou_2.1.1/run/testgasifier1/0/porosityF from line 18 to line 8041.

    From function Field::Field(const word& keyword, const dictionary&, const label)
    in file /home/figuim/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-2.1.1/src/OpenFOAM/lnInclude/Field.C at line 236.

    FOAM exiting
    please can you help me.
    Thank's
    Aminou

    ReplyDelete